Re: New desktop features provided by new version of update-notifier

[Sorry for sending the message only to you John =(]

Em Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:03:52 -0500
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> escreveu:

> Not if this is their first exposure to Debian.  Say you were a
> seasoned Solaris admin, and you installed Debian to play around with.
> You get a prompt saying that you have to reboot because zlib or
> something has been upgraded.  Are you going to think this is a serious
> operating system, suitable for server-class work?
>
> I doubt it.

hmmm... I don't think a sane seasoned Solaris admin would evaluate a
Unix-like operating system for server-class work by installing its
'Desktop' task, perhaps?

Again, this is clearly targeted at Desktop users.

> > > If you were to call this a *suggested reboot*, with text that
> > > states that a person could also achieve the desired effect by
> > > simply restarting certain processes, I'd have no problem with it.
> >
> > Even with those arguments in mind, do you have a suggested text that
> > would still be good for beginners?
>
> How about:
>
>  "Important packages [list the packages] have been upgraded and
>   provide security or stability improvements.  The easiest way to
>   make these improvements take effect is to reboot your system.
>   However, you may alternatively manually restart any services
>   that use these packages without a reboot."

Sounds good, I'll take a look at how that could work, perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks!

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
http://people.debian.org/~kov/