Re: cdrtools

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le lundi 07 août 2006 à 10:56 +0200, Joerg Schilling a écrit :
> > 	My software is definitely free and has no license problems.
>
> You may think so, but the Debian project doesn't. For example, a recent

As long as people from Debian are on calumiation campaigns aginst
OSS authors, Debian needs to be called non-free.

Debian must either be able to clean itself from people who use Debian
for such campaigns against OSS authors, or Debian needs to be called
a higly suspect and non-free project.

> GR stated that invariant sections aren't acceptable for the specific
> GFDL case, and there is no reason why they would be acceptable for

If Linux Distributions would not distribute bastardized versions of cdrecord,
there was no need to add the statements you might be talking about.

But note: you are again spreading lies!

You should better inform yourself on the Debian project and about the
GPL. The phrases that are inside cdrecord, have been clearly accepted by Debian
more than 4 years ago and they have been 100% GPL compatible as long as
cdrecord was published under GPL. Note that there are no invariant sections
in my sofware. As long as you do not create problems with my reputation (which
meand that you may need to call cdrecord e.g. "kindergarten", you may apply
any changes you like....).

> cdrecord. Furthermore, there are issues with the CDDL and currently no
> CDDL-licensed project has been accepted.

There are definitely NO issues with the CDDL. The CDDL gives at least
as much freedom as the GPL does and the CDDL is a first class OSS license.
It has been accepted by the OSI and this is sufficient for anybody.

> All of this, without even taking into account your brain-dead licensing
> mix between CDDL and GPL - which are intentionally incompatible
> licenses, according to Sun guys.

The more such lies you write, the more I get the impression that you are
a really bad troll.

Sun did definitely NOT create the CDDL to be incompatible to the GPL.
What you are doing here is FUD of the worst kind!

I am still in hope that this is a problem with people like you only
and not a general problem with Debian. Note that Debian has been a
respectable project in the past. If Debian does not dissociate from people
like you, Debian will soon become completely incredible.

> > If people from Debian continue to publish untenable assertions on my software,
> > it is obvious that those people from Debian are only interested in a
> > calumniation campaign aganst me.
>
> People from Debian are interested in building a free distribution, not
> in trolling with software authors crying out loud because they aren't
> able to understand how licenses work. We decide what's acceptable for
> our project, and you don't have a single word to say about that.

So why do they allow you to troll in the name of Debian?

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)