Re: lilypond and python

* Matthew Garrett [Wed, 26 Jul 2006 02:14:51 +0100]:

> Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:

> > I don't think you understand.  A workaround costs me lots of time to
> > get in place.  I'm perfectly clear about how to go about installing a
> > workaround.  The question is, is the work worth it?

> Running sed costs you lots of time? Come on. I can understand your
> irritation at the lack of information about how the python transition is
> going, but it really shouldn't take you any length of time at all to
> change things to reference 2.4 directly. If it /is/ horribly awkward and
> time consuming, I'm sure someone will be willing to submit a patch or
> NMU it for you.

Well said.

Now let's take the opportunity to send a public message to Thomas
Bushnell BSG:

  Thomas, please limit the contents of your next mails in this thread to
  complaing repeteadly about how your questions have been unanswered for
  months, how the evil Matthias Klose has been ignoring you on purpose,
  and how worrysome it is the possibility of doing all the immense task
  that updating lilypond to python2.4, just to have it become the default
  version the very next day.

  Because, Thomas, if I see _one_ more mail from you which instead of
  "WHINE WHINE WHINE", it screams "I AM AN INCOMPETENT" (*), I am going
  to bring up a formal request to the Front Desk to have you redo NM again.

  I am completely serious: all of the mails quoted below stress me
  profoundly, and I'd rather have the whining continue.

(*) References (mostly in chronological order):

  - http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg00802.html

    Not reading mandatory d-d-a, or extremely bad mid-term memory.

  - http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg00963.html

    Total disrespect for fellow developers (rdependant maintainers).

  - http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg01003.html

    Lack of knowledge about the packaging tools specific to one's own
    packages.

  - http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg01011.html

    Inability to find out/understand by oneself if something is amazing
    or simply not true.

  - http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg01010.html

    Ignorance about tools that every Debian Developer knows about (e.g.,
    ccache, e.g., dpkg-buildpackage -b -nc).

As a colophon:

  - From http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg00684.html:

    > But I don't alas, have the time to spend on a workaround patch myself,
    > which will (supposedly) become obselete very quickly.

    The sad conclusion that, with this sentence being probably true (why
    doubt your knowledge about your own time constraints), that preparing
    such upload, given your skills _and_ hardware constraints, would
    take you more time that writing all the amounts of text you've send
    to this list during the last months about this very same issue, and
    reading all replies herein.

And, finally, what makes baby Jesus cry the most:

  - http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/07/msg01005.html

    > Now, how much more of this, to avoid the courtesy of a five minute
    > reply on the actual topic?

    Dude, the only possible corteous reply is:

      Nobody knows when python2.4 will become the default python
      version, maybe even not Matthias, and in case he does, he is not
      telling. However, the fact that you're not getting an answer means
      NOBODY IS GETTING AN ANSWER EITHER.

      And this is something that, sadly, happens in Debian from time to
      time, and other people just deal with it, BUT NOT THE BSG DUDE.

      And fortunately as of now, we have a big number of packages in the
      archive that build-depend only on python2.4, but not on python2.3,
      despite it not being the default version, a big number of packages
      BUT. NOT. FUCKING. LILY. BSG. POND.

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

A dream is an answer to a question that we don't know how to ask.