Re: These new diffs are great, but...

On Fri 30 Jun 2006, Martin Schulze wrote:

> You know that you can easily turn off this feature by adjusting apt.conf:
>
>    Acquire::Pdiffs { "false"; };

Ah, great :)

After not having done "aptitude update" for a month or so, after
downloading all the hunderds (!) of diffs, I got the following dreaded
message again:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Read error - read (14 Bad address)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Read error - read (14 Bad address)
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

I thought that this was something from bygone days... pretty dismal,
having such a fixed limit on an amd64 with 2GB of memory.
After adding "APT::Cache-Limit "20000000";" in /etc/apt/apt.conf
(the old example of 8MB wasn't enough) it proceeded, and now I don't
need that anymore. The high memory need was apparently related to
processing all those diffs.

Paul Slootman