Re: greylisting on debian.org?

Le lun 17 juillet 2006 22:29, Lionel Elie Mamane a écrit :
> Here is one: I am strongly opposed to greylisting (on mail sent to me
> or that I send), for the reason that it delays legitimate mail.

which shows that you didn't read the discussion that was about enabling
greylisting on *certain* *specificaly* *suspicious* hosts. a suspicious
host is:
 * either listed on some RBL's (rbl listing "dynamic" blocks are a good
   start usually)
 * either having no reverse DNS set
 * either having curious EHLO lines (that one may catch too much good
   mail sadly, so it's to handle with care).
 * ...

I apply greylisting on the two first criteriums on a quite used mail
server (around 300.k mails per week, which is not very big, but should
be representative enough).

there is less than 50 mails a week over those that *may* be legitimate
mails that are actually slowed down.

so *please* do me a favour, read the thread you are answering to,
because you really really answer miles away from the debate.

and if you never actually realized, there *IS* such a slowdown on debian
mail lists, it's called crossassassin, it kills master on a regular
basis, and is *REALLY* less effective than greylisting.

when spam makes our MX load go to highs I never suspected a machine
could resist, I think maybe it's time to try a more robust solution.

Pierre, that is pissed that his @debian.org address barely more usable
than a hotmail one (and I do not know any worse mail service on the
entire web).
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit