Re: cdrtools

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 the mental interface of
Daniel Baumann told:

> Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> > are there any activities on that project?
>
> The licensing of cdrtools is/was under investigation of the Technical
> Comitee, a final decision/action is not yet found/published so far.
>
> For the public part of the information, read on at
> http://bugs.debian.org/350739

Ahh, I didn't noticed this bug. But it shows the way Joerg is
discussing with Linux guys everywhere.

[...]

> > Will the package be orphande next time?
>
> No, depending on the outcome of the licensing issues, either the current
> maintainers still continue to maintain the package, or it has to be
> removed from Debian completely.

IMHO we have to have a GPL'd package. But at the moment I haven't
any clue which alternative we have? Joerg is very sensible and for
me it is not easy to follow the discussion between Joerg and Blade,
but in summary no one gets sensible for the arguments of the
other one.  Thats not a good assumption to clarify and satisfy both
parties.

BTW, the cdrtools are very good ones, to give users very easy
intuition to burn, create ISO's or grab ogg's ion both command line
and gui frontends  :)

Elimar

--
  Numeric stability is probably not all that
  important when you're guessing;-)