Re: Transfer Maintainership From MIA Maintainer

Jason Self wrote:
> The listed maintainers for the Webmin package
> (http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/webmin) and the associated
> packages like webmin-core, Usermin, etc. are MIA. They are not fixing
> bugs or responding anymore.

The package has been removed from etch and sid, alias testing and
unstable.  If nobody steps in and proves that they can maintain the
package there won't be a webmin in the released etch in December.

> Jamie Cameron is the official author of Webmin
> (http://webmin.com/about.html) and has made it quite clear that he'd
> be happy to take over as maintainer.

It would be a good idea to start with the last package that has been
in unstable (use snapshot.debian.org to get the source) and fix as
much bugs as possible.  Then provide the package on a URL where at
least the bug reporters are able to fetch and test them.

> Webmin and the various other packages have not been _officially_
> orphaned, but they are _functionally_ orphaned. There are no versions
> of Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin in testing or unstable, and
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webmin.html states "the package is
> going to disappear unless someone takes it over and reintroduces it
> into unstable." I was wondering: How does one do that if the current
> maintainers aren't responding?

Pick the package, work on it, fix bugs, use mentors.debian.net to get
a sponsor so that the package can get back into sid and also apply as
a maintainer <http://www.debian.org/devel/join/>

> The goal is, of course, simply to keep the software alive in Debian.

Speaking for users, that would be good.  Speaking of an admin, please
be double-tripple careful to not open more security risks.

> To that end, I think it makes sense to have the package transferred to
> the responsibility of Jamie Cameron (the upstream author) for the best
> possible management. Jamie Cameron has already stated that, at the
> very least, he will create his own Webmin package for separate
> download, even if he can't get it added to the APT repository.

That would at least be a start and allow him faster development and
bug fixing when the package isn't sponsored at once.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Long noun chains don't automatically imply security.  -- Bruce Schneier