Re: Transfer Maintainership From MIA Maintainer

On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 01:26:30AM -0700, Jason Self wrote:
> The listed maintainers for the Webmin package
> (http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/webmin) and the associated
> packages like webmin-core, Usermin, etc. are MIA. They are not fixing
> bugs or responding anymore.
>
> Jamie Cameron is the official author of Webmin
> (http://webmin.com/about.html) and has made it quite clear that he'd
> be happy to take over as maintainer.
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/webmin-maintainers/2006-April/000682.html
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/webmin-maintainers/2006-July/000699.html
>
> Webmin and the various other packages have not been _officially_
> orphaned, but they are _functionally_ orphaned. There are no versions
> of Webmin/Usermin/Virtualmin in testing or unstable, and
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webmin.html states "the package is
> going to disappear unless someone takes it over and reintroduces it
> into unstable." I was wondering: How does one do that if the current
> maintainers aren't responding?
>
> The goal is, of course, simply to keep the software alive in Debian.
> To that end, I think it makes sense to have the package transferred to
> the responsibility of Jamie Cameron (the upstream author) for the best
> possible management. Jamie Cameron has already stated that, at the
> very least, he will create his own Webmin package for separate
> download, even if he can't get it added to the APT repository.

Hi Jason,
there is nothing preventing this. All that is needed is to follow
Debian procedure. Check the debian-mentors list for help with packaging
and here for requests for sponsorship for an upload. There are bugs
relatating to WNPP which can be addressed. You can also contact the last
know maintainer, Jalhdar Vayas for more specifics and help.
cheers,
Kev