Re: new tar behavior and --wildcards

> Debian still has to provide an upgrade path for users upgrading from Sarge.
> We cannot blindly break users scripts.

Here, the only way seems to be putting an entry in NEWS.Debian (for
users script, ie things not under our control).

> We did something similar with "su" but we did it earlier in the release
> cycle, and I think we have already lot of work to do to release etch on
> time.

At first reading of that thread, I tend to agree with Bill here. It
seems pretty late in the release cycle to make that change.

What about reimplementing the "old" behaviour in tar, make it the
default for etch, with allowing the "new" behaviour to be voluntarily
enforced (through an env variable or so)....and revert this *after*
the release of Etch.

Involving the release team (if not already done, which I doubt for
something managed by Bdale) could be good if that's likely to delay
the release.