Re: new tar behavior and --wildcards

Le mar 27 juin 2006 13:37, Thijs Kinkhorst a écrit :
> On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 10:02 +0200, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > Le lun 26 juin 2006 21:53, Petr Vandrovec a écrit :
> > > Maybe it could be default for tar's POSIX mode, but I have no
> > > idea why GNU mode behavior should be changed in any way.
> >
> > I second that. it's now completely unpossible to do basic packaging
> > work, because such a change wasn't planned. I also don't find it
> > wise, if we still want to release this year, to introduce such a
> > change *now*.
> >
> > Bdale, I *really* beg you to postpone that default change
> > post-etch.
>
> Is there any idea of the number of packages actually affected by
> this? I've harly seen an RC bug flood arise out of this; I've only
> seen two, one of which is already pending upload. Probably a few more
> will arise, but the fix is trivial.
>
> So I wonder if it would be useful to revert the change, since we have
> to change at some point and at this point the effects do not seem to
> be quite dramatic. Maybe you have signs indicating otherwise?

I fear there will be a lot. for me lintian failed, and I had some
curious behaviour with one package I sponsored recently. To avoid
problems atm, I force my pbuilder to use the tar from testing.

As tar is a core component of the distro, I'm quite afraid of that
change, that may have quite well hidden side effects, and be quite
desastrous :/
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit