Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

Frank Küster wrote:
> There was.  It ended with no conclusion.  Here's my view of the outcome,
> from pure recollection without looking anything up:
>
> - gzipping PDF files does save some space; bz2 compression would save
>   even more.  Naturally, compressing files that are internally
>   uncompressed gives better results.
>
> - among the people that maintain packages with lots of pdf.gz files, no
>   one seems really opposed to shipping them uncompressed.  But also
>   nobody seemd to be willing to do the first step, especially since
>   there is no consensus about not compressing them.

I think that a notable addition (by Olaf v.d.S. IIRC) was that it could
be worthwhile to improve viewers. E.g. kghostview will correctly open
.pdf.gz while gnome-gv will not. Similarly kdvi opens .dvi.gz.
Altough I'm not using KDE in general, my preference for kdvi is
precisely because of that (and reverse search, but that seems to be more
standard nowadays).

Kind regards

T.
--