Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

* Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> [2006-06-25 12:06]:

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Martin Wuertele [Sun, Jun 25 2006, 11:05:54AM]:
>
> > > then it is incorrect?" "If Debian does not use RedHat Kickstart then it
> > > is broken?"
> >
> > Do you have some arguements beside the rant? firefox definitely should
> > handle .txt.gz and other gzipped plaintext documentation. I'm not
>
> Should: maybe, depends on users and webmasters preferences.
> Must: not.
> And what has this to do with local use (TOPIC)?

The complain was that e.g. firefox does not handle gzipped documents
well and therefore -doc packages should not contain them. I agree that
it doesn't make sense to compress PDFs with gzip when there is already
built-in compression that could be used and pdftk is in place to tell
you if the file is already compressed (no need to do anything) or not
(use pdftk to compress it) - something like that added to debhelper
would solve the PDF problem. My second point is that firefox and co
should at least handle gzip compressed plaintext and one-file-html
documents and in my experience (at least firefox from backports) does so
without flaws.

> > On my portable I have ~4.6K gzipped files in /usr/share/doc and only 39
> > of them are pdfs, 4 are html files.
>
> TOPIC? That is not about all the obligatory docs (which shall be
> compressed since rarely used) but contents of -doc packages.

Still I personally prefere -doc packages that consist of plaintext
documentation to remain compressed.

> And besides of that, compression does not make sense on most PDFs as
> pointed out by yuo/me/many others and the remaining PDFs have good
> chances to recompressed internally.

And again: I'm here with you, pdf.gz does not make sense. Propably using
the built-in compression might.

yours Martin
--
<maxx@debian.org> ---- Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal Operating System
<weasel> ach, und etc/hosts will ich auch noch sehen