Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

* Preben Randhol <randhol@pvv.org> [2006-06-24 20:02]:

> > >   2. xpdf doesn't want to open gzipped pdfs by default which
> > >      makes this a pain in the **tt for people who want to read the
> > > pdf.
> >
> > There's "zxpdf" in the xpdf package, analogous to zless and zcat it
> > views gzipped files.
>
> Yes, but the problem is that many systems (firefox, rox-filer etc...)

file-roller does view pdf.gz and if e.g. firefox handels them incorrect
it should be fixed in there. We don't change policy when programs are
broken, we fix them.

> In my not so humble opinion zgrep zxpdf etc.. should be
> depreciated and gunzip capabilities should be available by default in
> grep and xpdf.

That'd be nice.

> However, if there is no reason to gzip a file in the doc packages,
> then I do not understand why it is done.

See other mails in this thread, ther are good reasons to keep doc
packages compressed, e.g. half a gig of space saving.

yours Martin
--
<maxx@debian.org> ---- Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal Operating System
Schon doof wenn man Probleme hochverfügbar macht. *g* Beliebtes Beispiel: