Re: Why does doc packages need to contain gzipped files?

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 07:25:00PM -0400, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> >   > >   2. xpdf doesn't want to open gzipped pdfs by default which
> >   > >      makes this a pain in the **tt for people who want to read the
> >   > > pdf.
> >   >
> >   > There's "zxpdf" in the xpdf package, analogous to zless and zcat it
> >   > views gzipped files.
>
> And some of us want to use evince or kpdf or gpdf.

If you are in gnome, please install file roller.  That will fix your
immediate issue of opening *.pdf.gz file.

> I don't think PDFs should ever be compressed with gzip.

Well, aregument should be ...

Gzipping PDF provides no real space saving advantage while forcing to use
extra-CPU time and large temporary file space.

 * If space saving is the issue, just do not install -doc package.
 * Providing non-gzipped PDF speed-up system.

As I posted elsewhere, someone has to provide debhelper patch.