Re: Non-DD's in debian-legal

Le mercredi 07 juin 2006 à 12:18 +0100, Ian Jackson a écrit :
> Jeremy Hankins writes ("Non-DD's in debian-legal"):
> > I'm not sure I understand this part, though.  Do you think that folks
> > like myself, who are not DD's, should not participate in the discussions
> > on d-l?
>
> Actually, I think they should not participate, in general.

[snip]

> Part of the problem here is that the selection process for DD's has
> become discredited, because (a) many good and useful people making
> significant technical contributions are still stuck outside the fence
> and also (b) many less good and less useful people are on the inside
> making a mess.  I don't have an easy answer to this but it's something
> we should all be thinking about.

And maybe *you* should think about it before saying non-DD contributions
are not welcome. Believe me, if they stopped participating tomorrow,
large key parts of the development would be completely stuck, and that
includes advice on licenses.

> But dismantling the or undermining the tie between political
> decisionmaking in Debian to formal membership is not the answer.

I don't see much difference between contributing to debian-legal and
contributing to packaging. The contributors to the mailing list are not
the ones making the decision. The ones making the decision are the
ftp-masters and the release managers, using *advice* from the list. Do
you need to be a DD to spot a problem with a license? No. Fortunately,
most DDs can, unlike you, accept that this is a real problem even if the
person spotting it is not a Chosen One.