Re: Who can make binding legal agreements

On 6/7/06, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> wrote:
Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
>> Sure.  SPI owns many of the machines that Debian owns.  If any of these
>> machines are being used to distribute this software, as I think is
>> likely, then SPI could be liable.
>
> Oh, very good point.  I hadn't thought of this.

No.  SPI is liable under the terms of copyright law; at most, it can
be told to stop distributing things.

Err, copyright infringement can be a criminal act as well. So if a DPP
(DA or whatever it's called in your jurisdiction) takes a dislike to
you (or perhaps someone whispers into their ear), they can haul you or
SPI or mirror operators into court without Sun having anything to say
about it. And the result could include gaol time, especially for this
sort of large-scale willing mass copyright infringement.

I guess it's a small risk though...
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/