Re: Hidden files

Roger Leigh <rleigh@whinlatter.ukfsn.org> writes:

> While historical reasons are acceptable for users' dotfiles, I remain to
> be convinced that there is a logical rationale for them in any system
> location, or even anywhere under $HOME except the root.

"It's way too much of a pain to modify upstream code that uses files
beginning with '.' for reasons that are essentially cosmetic."

Passing along the request to upstream makes perfect sense.  I would
recommend using _ instead of . if they want to put the file into a clearly
separate namespace.  But if upstream doesn't bite, I'd say that this is
the sort of divergence and maintenance burden that Debian really doesn't
need.  The advantages are not compelling enough, IMO.