Re: Hidden files

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> Joey Hess wrote:
>> Linas ?virblis wrote:
>>> Let us imagine someone decides to introduce package X that contains a
>>> lot of files (let us say 50) in "/usr/lib" and half of them are dot
>>> files. And what about shipping hidden directories? Would such packages
>>> be accepted into Debian?
>>
>> I've had packages in Debian with more dotfiles than that in /usr/lib
>> (although only perhaps 5% of the total file count).
>
> Just my humble opinion, but hidden system files just smacks of the
> Sony DRM rootkit debacle.
>
> Just as /etc/bashrc is not hidden, whereas ~/.bashrc is, *why*
> should any *system* files be hidden?

IMO dotfiles are a historical artifact which we are stuck with.  If we
were just starting today, I'm sure we would be using ~/etc/bashrc
rather than ~/.bashrc so the user's files match the standard
locations.  It's logical, simple, and would make many things easier.

While historical reasons are acceptable for users' dotfiles, I remain
to be convinced that there is a logical rationale for them in any
system location, or even anywhere under $HOME except the root.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh