Re: NMU procedure and /usr/bin/nmudiff defaults

Scripsit Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es>
> * Junichi Uekawa [Mon, 05 Jun 2006 07:36:43 +0900]:

>> I don't think there is much harm in opening a new NMU bug.

> No, there isn't. Plus has been the right way for years, AIUI, and
> dev-ref explicitly mentions it.

How is it righter than sending the NMU diff to the bug that led one to
NMU in the first place? Dev-ref §5.11.4 describes attaching the diff
to the original bug as the common case, and explicitly calls opening a
fresh bug an alternative. (Presumably to be used when an NMU that
fixes many bugs is not easily splittable into individual patches).

> There is no need to specify the bug number, since it can be extracted
> from the changelog. The question is whether the option shall be --new,
> so the default is to send the diff to the fixed bug(s) (my patch), or it
> should be --no-open instead, thus defaulting to opening a new bug.

Perhaps then the default ought to send to the existing bug if the
changelog closes exactly one bug, and open a new bug report otherwise.

--
Henning Makholm                                          "Skidt med din brud
                                                  når der står et par nymfer