Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 08:45:11AM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
>>  - something it already had (admins who really wanted Sun's Java could
>>always go to java.sun.com and install it themselves or use java-package)
>

> Come on; you could say this about almost _every single_ package in the
> archive.  "Admins who wanted it, could always go and install it themselves".
> Granted, java-package makes the integration easier, but having it directly
> available from apt is a world of difference.

Point taken.  But then, with the Sun Java situation, the individual
admin was taking on the responsbility.  Debian had no stake in the
matter.  Now, that is no longer true.  Having Oracle available via apt
would make a world of difference to many admins.  If Larry Ellison shows
up at the next DebConf can we expect Debian to start distributing Oracle
as well?

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez