Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Bill Allombert wrote:
On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 09:57:40AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
I see no ground in the Debian constitution to claim this is "Debian's
position".  Being the ftp-masters decisision does not make it the
"Debian's position".
As for the relevance of Sun position on Debian developers, there simply
is none.
I will generally work from a presumption that the ftp-master has
a good deal of experience judging what does and does not fit the
Debian community's and Debian constitutions interests and purpose.

(but of course we're all human, so it's still possible that one or two
packages are incorrectly classified).

Sun's position, while not authoritative, does support the ftp-master's
decision. I expect that if sun had a good reason for arguing that Java
should be distributed under (the more widely available) default branch,
they would have done so, since that would help java's market penetration.
If they say that it belongs in non-free  (and nobody manages to credibly
debunk that position ) then I would be inclined to believe that it shouldn't be rated any better than whatthey specified.

--
Stephen Samuel +1(778)861-7641             samnospam@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/