Re: [Debconf-discuss] list of valid documents for KSPs

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:48:13PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Well, KSP's in Debian are essentially dead, as far as I am
>  concerned, since the community has not come to an agreement that
>  bringing Bubba's passports is an unacceptable action.

Well, for my part, it's actually slightly more complicated than that.

Yes, you should bring a government-issued ID, and no, having an ID card
that is not trustable should not be considered acceptable.

However, on every key signing party, especially on large ones, there
will be people unfamiliar with such events, who may or may not
understand that the type of ID they bring is problematic. Therefore, it
is your duty to verify that the ID which is shown in front of you is
acceptable -- even if you suspect that the person in question does know
what type of ID he or she should have brought to the party.

If you think it is safe to assume that random people on KSPs will bring
trustable IDs, then your practices are untrustable. It must be assumed
that the ID card of the person you're looking at is untrustable unless
proven otherwise, because the card may be something totally worthless,
on purpose or otherwise.

Therefore, shouting that someone is a forger because he brought an ID
that can't be trusted is just as unacceptable as the act of bringing
that ID card.

--
Fun will now commence