Re: [Debconf-discuss] list of valid documents for KSPs

On 1 Jun 2006, Frank Küster outgrape:

> To me it rather seems people are talking about how untrustworthy a
> web of trust must necessarily be, especially if you do not take into
> account manually assigned trust values.  And you seem to be the
> person who proposes that, when adhering to certain procedures, a web
> of trust actually could be strong and very trustworthy.

        You have misunderstood my position: I am saying that  forget
 the web of trust (there is noi transitive trust possible at all),
 even signatures can't be trusted to have any value unless some
 assumptions are made, namely, that people continue to not game the
 system by bringing in Bubba's ID's.

On 1 Jun 2006, Theodore Tso uttered the following:
> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:48:13PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> The person who I thought was Marting has apparently revealed
>> that the identity documents that were preseted to the key signing
>> party participants were ones that did not come out of a trusted
>> process.  Typically, the identity papers are produced by official
>> bodies, like governments, that have international treaties in place
>> to assure a minimal conformance of identity checks.
>
> Wrong again.  There are no international treaties, at least not
> general ones, that guarantee identity checks.  (There may be
> specialized ones such as those that bind countries within the
> European Union, but not in general.)

        I think you are mistaken, in that there do exist international
 understandings and conventions about ID checks.  he state department
 of the United States has warnings about airports that do not have
 peoper baggage checks, and there are lists of nations that do not
 have ID checks, and people from these countries do not get travel
 permits to come to the US.

        Germany is not one of those countries.

        manoj

--
For certain people, after fifty, litigation takes the place of
sex. Gore Vidal