Re: [Debconf-discuss] Re: Please revoke your signatures from Martin Kraff's keys

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@acm.org> wrote:

> On 25 May 2006, Stephen Frost verbalised:
>
>> * Manoj Srivastava (srivasta@debian.org) wrote:
>>> Explanation? What we have here is an act of bad faith, in the guise
>>> of demonstrating a weakness. In my experience, one act of bad faith
>>> often leads to others.
>>
>> pffft.  This is taking it to an extreme.  He wasn't trying to fake
>> who he was, it just wasn't an ID issued by a generally recognized
>> government (or perhaps not a government at all, but whatever).
>
>         If you think an ID from a place that issue you any ID when you
>   pay for it is valid, I probably will not trust a key signed by you,
>   and I would also suggest other people do not.

How do you know that the people who issued this ID would have issued
"any ID when you pay for it"?  Paying, of course, is irrelevant here; at
least in Germany you do have to pay for your official ID or Passport,
too.  And if this "Transnational Republic" is a political organization
who do issue IDs because they want to demonstrate their political
"importance", and not just a fun group, I'd expect that they do try to
issue correct IDs.  I wouldn't trust them to do it as thoroughly as I
trust the germand authorities, but I have no data to decide whether I
should trust them more or less than the authorities of China, Nigeria
or, for that matter, the United States of America.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)