Re: use of "invoke-rc.d $PACKAGE stop || exit $?" in prerm scripts

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I suppose it would be preferable to fix the "stop" target of the init

There is nothing preferable about it.  Stop targets *are* to exit with
status 0 if the service is already stopped.

The fact that Debian policy still has this as a "should" clause is just
cruft that needs to be addressed.  There are absolutely no acceptable
exceptions to either this rule (stopping a stopped service is okay) nor to
its counterpart (starting an already started service is okay), as far as I
know.

  Henrique Holschuh