Re: Sun Java available from non-free

Le dimanche 21 mai 2006 à 15:55 -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> If you have a reason to believe that the ftpmasters have *misjudged* the
> liability involved,

This is the whole point of the discussion.

> or you are approaching this as a mirror operator who is
> not comfortable with the license and might have to drop non-free as a
> result, it is reasonable for you to voice such concerns and try to persuade
> the ftpmasters to revert the decision.  But arguing that they have wronged
> the project by not consulting you first is so much bullshit, because *they*
> are the ones who bear the primary liability from distributing these
> packages, and other developers (as opposed to mirror operators) bear none at
> all.  They didn't ask you because Debian is not a democracy and random
> opinions on this decision *don't* matter.

Indeed, they will bear the *primary* liability. However if legal action
is taken against them or our mirror operators because of their decision,
the whole distribution process might suffer, affecting all developers
and users.

By reading your email, I feel you are acknowledging the fact the
ftp-masters cabal (I can't name it otherwise after seeing their behavior
IRL) is treating other developers as second-class contributors who
should just do as they say.

Re-read the constitution. By several aspects, Debian *is* a democracy.
Some developers are ignoring it, but this is something that should be
fixed.