Re: RFC: Better portability for package maintainers

On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 23:05 -0700, Matt Taggart wrote:
> Erast Benson writes...
>
> > Once you accompany OpenSolaris kernel with GLIBC, you will kill this
> > capability, you will not be able to run anything other than OSS compiled
> > for your particular distro. That was my point. And isn't LSB is what
> > GNU/Linux moving towards to? In OpenSolaris we have its Core which we
> > following as a standard and I don't see any single reason not to do so.
>
> How is this being implemented? I know Solaris did it by running an
> entire copy of Red Hat in a virtual machine, which isn't really supporting
> the LSB ABIs IMO. If you're actually supporting the LSB ABIs in the system
> root that would be cool (but the easiest way of doing it would be using
> glibc).

Not in the global, in the Branded Zone. It is possible to run GNU/Linux
binaries unmodified. Stuff like Skype does not yet exist on OpenSolaris,
so we run it over BrandZ with very small overhead.

In global zone, Nexenta provides SYSV init LSB scripts to make original
Debian daemon scripts to run seamlessly as a legacy services of SMF. We
are using SMF (Service Management Facility)[1] to manage daemons.

> This stuff could be really interesting to work on, get Sun to make the
> license GPL compatible and you'll see people in Debian interested in
> working on it.

It might be possible that OpenSolaris will be dual-licensed in the near
future. Jonathan Schwartz (Sun's CEO) actually were thinking about it at
his blog[2].

[1] http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/smf
[2] http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/jonathan?entry=hp_and_sun_partnering_around

--