Re: Making init scripts use dash

On May 19, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> Since bash does enable some features that are not specified in POSIX,
> even when called as /bin/sh, I don't see what the problem would be of
> installing "something else" as our default /bin/sh (ignoring the fact
That it would break all these non-portable scripts (do you really
suggest that our users should debug bashisms in other people's autoconf
scripts?).

> that only bash is Essential: yes for a second). It would greatly improve
> portability of said non-Debian scripts.
I doubt that the rest of the world would notice, at least for the first
few years, and we can be sure that it would greatly raise frustration in
our users.

--
ciao,
Marco