Re: The necessity of running depmod at boot time

On May 19, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> A while back Debian would only run depmod on boot if it had not been run
> before since the last kernel upgrade. Could you refresh my memory about
> why that optimisation was dropped?
I think because depmod --quick is supposed to be about as fast as find.

A second reason for which I would like to remove the depmod call is that
-w does not actually work to test if / is mounted read only, so to fix
the script I would need to touch /lib/modules at every boot (#358239).

--
ciao,
Marco