Re: Sun Java available from non-free

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:20:14AM +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> Official packages of Sun Java are now available from the non-free
> section of Debian unstable, thanks to Sun releasing[11 Java under a new
> license: the Operating System Distributor License for Java (DLJ)[2][3].
> This license, while still non-free, allows the Sun Java Runtime
> Environment (JRE) or Java Development Kit (JDK) to be distributed by
> Debian, with our own packaging.

I don't think it is appropriate to use debian-devel-announce to
advertise non-free softwares epecially when we are striving to provide
a free alternative.

> During the past weeks there has been close collaboration between Sun
> engineers and Debian and Ubuntu developers. The quick turnaround for
> creating those packages was made possible by reusing existing packaging
> code from the Blackdown Java Linux project, contributed by Matthias
> Klose and Jürgen Kreileder. Thanks to both of them for this.

Any pointer to that discussion ? I could not find any on debian-legal.
 From reading the license I don't see how we can distribute it without
some binding promise from SUN they will not sue us no matter what.
Does the discussion included that ?

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>