Re: AMD64: etch and uploads

Frank Kuester wrote
> Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > In order to fulfill this requirement, is there a best practice / any
> > possible way to "convert" an amd64 box which has been installed from
> > debian-amd64 to an official debian amd64 box?

You could always try what I did today at work :) Boot from AMD64
"unofficial" Sarge images and install the barest minimum.  Reboot,
change your sources list to point to a current Debian mirror to
the Sid/unstable tree on that mirror.  My local copy of my mirror
is about a week or so old - so I missed all the Xorg 7.0 fun by about
a day or so :)

Works like an absolute charm :) Five machines installed that way so far
today - a sixth is half installed and seventh should be done tomorrow a.m. :)

I couldn't have done this on any other distribution with as little
trouble. I was very fortunate in that the hardware was all basically
supported under Sarge - as reported to the amd64 list, the current
testing DVD's and d-i CD image appear to require an AMD64-specific
mirror to be available, which causes problems when you haven't got
'Net access readily available :(

Andy