Re: System users that receive mail in /var/mail/systemuser?

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 07:53:44PM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 12:25 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> [...]
> >> And now I am wondering whether this will break existing packages.
>
> > Maybe not *packages*, but possibly non-Debian software.
>
> non-Debian software, running in the Debian system-user id range?

* Some other distributions (I believe RedHat is one of them, but am not
  sure) have their user UID range start at 500 rather than 1000. If
  someone is using Debian in a hybrid environment where the usernames
  are centralized on the network (using NIS or LDAP, or something
  similar), you will probably break mail for people with 500 <= UID <
  1000 if you go doing this blindly. Note that, because of the NIS/LDAP
  possibility, it's not necessary that the sysadmin has reconfigured
  adduser to not create system users in the 500-1000 range, so checking
  for that isn't necessarily going to work.
* System users on a Debian system are created with the --system
  argument. On reading the manpage, these users are called "system
  users", not "Debian system users"; so non-Debian software could very
  well be using that by using the documented API.

--
Fun will now commence