etch before vista

hi everybody

According to the latest [1] Microsoft announcement, Vista will be released
in Jan 2007; according to our schedule [2],  Etch may be released in Dec 2006.

If we accomplish it, it will be a great feat: Debian will (possibly)
show it is able to relase two versions of its distribution since Jul
2002 (= woody release); whereas Microsoft seems unable to release its
own O.S. (even though XP has been out since Dec 2001, if I recall
correctly).

Yes guys, it means
 we (Debian + Open/Free SW community) manage to release
   ~ 9GB of binary precompiled integrated software , times
   ~ 10 binary architectures ,
 (maybe) twice , and  for free ...

.... while in roughly the same  time frame ....

.... Microsoft is unable to release Vista, and Office [3] as well; that is
AFAIK less than 1GB of binary code.

Amazing.

Is somebody out there doubting that Free/Open Software will eventually
lead?

I hope we do manage to release in Dec 2005 (and I thank people who
 work hard to this end).

a.

[1] http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060321-6433.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/12/msg00013.html