Re: 3rd party modules in the archive

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:38:30PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > >                              However, I have been told that it is no
> > > longer allowed to upload binary packages that do not appear in control
> > > files of the source package that are claimed to be the source of the
> > > uploaded binary package.
> >
> > It was never allowed.
>
> I am sure it was (a while ago) but since snapshot.debian.net is busted
> is is hard to proove that.

No. The policy always disallowed it. But dak don't reject it.

> > > a way to tell FTP management: packages of that kind are okay and they
> > > shall be removed when the following package disappears: ...  Maybe a new
> > > field? Eg.
> > >
> > > GenPkgBaseName: unionfs-module-
> >
> > How should that work? It needs the information which packages are built
> > and which are not. Which this proposal you will end with many
> > not-longer-built packages.
>
> This is the other side of the medal, yes. I cannot see any other
> efficient ways now, I guess you do but you don't care to tell.

You can't without generating a proper control file.

> > > Any better ideas?
> >
> > Yes, let us finish our work.
>
> Is that's all? No shit, I miss "STFU and let us alone in our sandbox"
> for the perfect satisfaction. :-(

You can try to understand the existing code, that is no question. It is
located in the kernel repository in
/dists/trunk/linux-2.6/debian/{lib,modules} or in the
linux-headers-2.6.1[56] package.

Bastian

--
If a man had a child who'd gone anti-social, killed perhaps, he'd still
tend to protect that child.