Re: For those who care about stable updates

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 08:52:53AM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 03:27, Kevin Mark wrote:
> [DPL as mediator]
>
> The DPL already could do that.  The DPL probably in the past *did* step in
> in some cases behind the scenes.  There's no reason for the technical
> overhead of a mediator@ email alias - there's leader, and people who trust
> the DPL to be able to mediate conflicts can reach him there.
>
> Mediation can only work if all parties accept the mediator as a person of
> respect/authority who is capabable of working out a fair solution and
> accept that a mediator will help.  Otherwise, it'll be just an additional
> party in the debate - no win.
>
> > After the meeting everyone would agree to not discuss anything in public
> > and only redress further problems by arranging another private irc
> > session.
>
> Hmm.  I agree with you that solving these problems is behind the scenes
> work.  But I think a solution worked out by a mediator ought to be
> published, because often enough the problem is also the subject of frequent
> discussions and flamewars, often also between people not actually involved
> in the problem (and thus the mediation.)  Mediation is about finding a
> solution, not about blaming anybody, so publication of the mediation's
> result should be constructive instead of 'he was guilty'.
Hi Adrian,
I would agree as long as the statement is worded to both parties
agreement. Would it also be useful to start a parallel document to
'Debian [technical] Policy' to address possible future situations or
would it make sense to have one policy document and add a section?
cheers,
Kev