Re: Ubuntu patches

On 2/21/06, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel@mamane.lu> wrote:
> You probably missed this question, which I also wanted to ask:

Frank forwarded it to me, and I replied to him in person -- here's the reply.

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:55:23PM +0100, Frank Küster wrote:
> > "Scott James Remnant" <keybuk@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> And the reason 4.23 isn't in the morgue is simple, Debian's morgue ran
> >> out of disk space a while ago.
>
> > What is Debian's morgue?  What about using snapshot.debian.net?

The morgue is where katie moves packages to once they're expelled from the pool.

We used to use snapshot.debian.net until it collapsed last year, since
then we've avoided it because their Packages lists still claim to
contain all of the sources they lost in the melt-down -- which makes
it much harder to find out whether they do or don't have a particular
source package.

Also unlike the morgue, snapshot only sees those packages that make it
as far as the pool; there have been several cases where the developer
uploaded three or four versions in one day, snapshot would only see
the last one where the morgue had all four.

And yes, quite often one of those interim ones has ended up in Ubuntu
because of co-operation between the maintainers.