Re: TrueType fonts packages maintenance team proposal

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> wrote:

> The first goal for this team would be setting up a font packaging
> policy.
[...]
> I have voluntarily limited the scope of the project to TTF fonts,
> which become more an more popular. This is mostly by ignorance and
> because of my loose knowledge of other font systems. Feel free to
> propose a wider project (but not too much wide, also: having a first
> limited focus is probably more realistic).

I'd be glad if you'd keep the Debian TeX Task Force (currently at
debian-tetex-maint@l.d.o, soon at debian-tex-maint@l.d.o) informed about
drafts of this policy.  Although we don't currently package any TTF
fonts, pdftex can in principle use them (as well as PostScript Type1
fonts and, to a still limited extend, OTF).  Unfortunately, it has
rather specific requirements with respect to file placement and even
naming.  It would be nice if we'd manage to keep the needed setup
(symlink farms...)  as simple as possible.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)