TrueType fonts packages maintenance team proposal

Preamble
--------

The maintenance of fonts, at least TTF fonts, is currently splitted
out among many maintainers in the project, while the problems faced by
TTF font package maintainers are nearly always the same.

From my own recent experience of helping/sponsoring/taking over a few
font packages, I have concluded that some coordination between font
packages maintainers could be an interesting improvement for the
project.

So, I hereby propose to think about a possible TTF fonts packaging
team.

Project goals
-------------

The first goal for this team would be setting up a font packaging
policy. Font packages are usually very simple packages, but having a
common packaging style would greatly help incorporating new fonts in
Debian. Usually, people who request the packaging of fonts are not
often very experienced people and that would help smoothing this
learning curve.

Having a common maintenance team would also optimize the usage of
"resources", namely font experts, who are not that common.

My personal vision of this is having the font maintenance team slowly
becoming the maintainer of more and more ttf-* font packages, with the
agreement of the original maintainers, of course. Those would then
remain as "main maintainer" by being listed in the font "Uploaders"
field.

The team could also seek for more fonts to be included in Debian,
possibly after setting up some prerequisites to avoid too crappy fonts.

The project could also include the maintenance of font-related tools,
such as fontforge or defoma (which seems mostly abandoned, but
probably requires solid knowledge or Perl and cryptic
programming...:-)).

Project resources

Then, I propose contacting the ttf-* font packages maintainers and
propose them to join the team, explaining that this is a volunteer
action anyway and they will remain as the "main" maintainer of their
packages.

Next steps
----------

The first step is trying to see whether this proposal receives
interest, by my fellow Debian developers, as well as font packages
maintainers (several of them not being yet a DD).

So, please follow up in -devel to show interest, criticism, laughs
and the like.

I do not intend to keep the "lead" of this very long, mostly because
I'm not really a font expert. But, at least until a strong team
emerges, I can give some time in coordinating the whole stuff and
slowly gather the current font packages maintainers.

I have voluntarily limited the scope of the project to TTF fonts,
which become more an more popular. This is mostly by ignorance and
because of my loose knowledge of other font systems. Feel free to
propose a wider project (but not too much wide, also: having a first
limited focus is probably more realistic).

Please feel free to point me at existing projects I wouldn't be aware
of (debian-desktop?) which cover similar goals...

List of current ttf-* packages
------------------------------
(just looking at the packages descriptions give a good idea of the
non-coordination of font packaging..:-)))

ttf-arhangai - A TrueType font with Mongolian Cyrillic letters
ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp - "AR PL Mingti2L Big5" Chinese TrueType font by Arphic Technology
ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp - "AR PL SungtiL GB" Chinese TrueType font by Arphic Technology
ttf-arphic-gkai00mp - "AR PL KaitiM GB" Chinese TrueType font by Arphic Technology
ttf-baekmuk - Baekmuk series TrueType fonts
ttf-dustin - Various TrueType fonts from dustismo.com
ttf-f500 - Wipeout 3 Font
ttf-isabella - The Isabella free TrueType font
ttf-kochi-gothic - Kochi Subst Gothic Japanese TrueType font without naga10
ttf-kochi-mincho - Kochi Subst Mincho Japanese TrueType font without naga10
ttf-sazanami-gothic - Sazanami Gothic Japanese TrueType font
ttf-sazanami-mincho - Sazanami Mincho Japanese TrueType font
ttf-staypuft - The Stay-Puft free TrueType font
ttf-summersby - Free TrueType typeface font
ttf-thryomanes - A Unicode font covering Latin, Greek, Cyrillic and IPA
ttf-tmuni - font for Tibetan, Dzongkha and Ladakhi (OpenType Unicode)
ttf-uralic - Truetype fonts for Cyrillic-based Uralic languages
ttf-kochi-gothic-naga10 - Kochi Subst Gothic Japanese TrueType font with naga10 (non-free)
ttf-kochi-mincho-naga10 - Kochi Subst Mincho Japanese TrueType font with naga10 (non-free)
ttf-mikachan - handwritten Japanese Truetype font
libfont-ttf-perl - Perl module for TrueType font hacking
libttf-dev - FreeType 1 development files (static library and headers)
ttf-alee - A Lee's EunJin family Hangul truetype fonts
ttf-arabeyes - Arabeyes GPL TrueType Arabic fonts
ttf-arphic-bkai00mp - "AR PL KaitiM Big5" Chinese TrueType font by Arphic Technology
ttf-arphic-ukai - "AR PL ZenKai Uni" Chinese Unicode TrueType font Kaiti style
ttf-arphic-uming - "AR PL ShanHeiSun Uni" Chinese Unicode TrueType font Mingti style
ttf-bengali-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Bengali language
ttf-bitstream-vera - The Bitstream Vera family of free TrueType fonts
ttf-bpg-georgian-fonts - BPG Georgian fonts
ttf-dejavu - Bitstream Vera fonts with additional characters
ttf-devanagari-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for languages using the Devanagari script
ttf-farsiweb - FarsiWeb free TrueType Farsi fonts
ttf-freefont - Freefont Serif, Sans and Mono Truetype fonts
ttf-gujarati-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Gujarati language
ttf-indic-fonts - Metapackage for free Indian language fonts
ttf-junicode - a Unicode font for medievalists (Latin, IPA and Runic)
ttf-kacst - KACST free TrueType Arabic fonts
ttf-kannada-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Kannada language
ttf-khmeros - KhmerOS Unicode fonts for the Khmer language of Cambodia
ttf-malayalam-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Malayalam language
ttf-mgopen - Magenta Open Truetype fonts
ttf-mph-2b-damase - font with ranges from the latest version of unicode
ttf-opensymbol - The OpenSymbol TrueType font
ttf-oriya-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Oriya language
ttf-paktype - PakType free OpenType Urdu fonts
ttf-punjabi-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Punjabi language
ttf-tamil-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Tamil language
ttf-telugu-fonts - Free TrueType fonts for the Telugu language
ttf-unfonts - Un series Korean TrueType fonts
ttf-gentium - Gentium TrueType font
ttf-larabie-deco - Decorative fonts from www.larabiefonts.com
ttf-larabie-straight - Straight fonts from www.larabiefonts.com
ttf-larabie-uncommon - Special decorative fonts from www.larabiefonts.com
ttf-xfree86-nonfree - non-free TrueType fonts from XFree86
ttf-xfree86-nonfree-syriac - non-free syriac OpenType fonts from XFree86