Re: For those who care about their packages in Ubuntu

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:18:22AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> Reinhard Tartler <siretart@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Oh. There might be a misunderstanding: No binary package is taken from
>> > debian, only source packages. This means that EVERY package is being
>> > rebuilt in ubuntu on buildds, including arch: all packages. The output
>> > of apt-cache shows the field 'Origin' to indicate that this is not a
>> > package built on debian systems.
>>
>> Good grief, and Matt Zimmerman said the exact opposite recently,
>> saying that Ubuntu does not rebuild every package.
>
> I said no such thing, and would appreciate your retraction on this point.

Ok, then I must have misunderstood something.  So it is clear then
that Ubuntu does recompile every package.

Now, can you do the following, which I don't think there is any
diversity of opinion about:

When you recompile packages, change their version number just as
Debian does for binary-NMUs?  That is, the first binary compile for
an arch gets the same version number as the original source, but all
future recompilations, which would include those done by Ubuntu or
anyone else, should get a modified version number.

Will you establish an Ubuntu policy that all bugs found, whether
patched or not, which might exist in the upstread Debian package,
should always be reported to the BTS?

I believe there has been no disagreement about these points from the
Debian perspective.

Thomas