Re: when and why did python(-minimal) become essential?

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:28:07PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> A quick comparison of fresh unconfigured i386 chroots:
> 94420   woody
> 146140  sarge

That's a bit more than I would've expected; though the sarge chroots
are notably be more functional than woody ones.

> 160264  etch

I get 131140 on powerpc, after running "apt-get clean". You can lose another
14M by clearing out /var/lib/apt/lists. /usr/share/locale also takes up a fair
chunk. Removing all that, I get 91656 total.

> 185444  sid
> a +25MB increase, even though etch is nearly in sync.

Well, except for python... That only looks like it should account for ~17MB
though, so there might be more to it.

Note that you can remove base packages fairly happily (or avoid installing them
in the first place, with some care); it's only required/essential packages that
are really difficult to avoid.

Note that python2.4-minimal should only be an extra 2.5M, compared to
an extra 12.4MB for python2.4 (or 10.5MB for python2.3, which is what
python-minimal currently equates to).

Cheers,
aj