Re: Need for launchpad

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 03:12:33PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Actually, upstream maintainers have no voice before the technical
> committee, which exists to resolve disputes between Debian developers,
> not between Debian developers and outsiders.

Indeed.  And likewise, we have absolutely no control over what Ubuntu
chooses to distribute, either.

> The question here is *NOT* whether Ubuntu has good patches, but
> whether they contribute back, via the BTS, patches which are relevant
> to the Debian upstream.

Actually, Manoj raised the issue of not wanting his name on packages
being modified by a committee since bugs may harm his reputation.  I
have in the past had my reputation harmed by people who screwed up
e2fsprogs at various distributions.  And there was absolutely nothing
I could do about it.  As you pointed out, before I became a DD
developer, I had absolutely no standing whatsoever to protest someone
who screwed up my package and damaged my reputation.

So if that's our formal distribution of power between our upstreams
and our Debian Developers, why are we complaining about how Ubuntu
treats us?

						- Ted