Re: Canonical's business model

On 1/11/06, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 02:56:35PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:

> > > Well, I've sure seen similar things being said about nearly every
> > > Debian-related company I've ever heard of (Progeny, Linspire, Nexenta,
> > > etc). I find it hard to see how else you could have missed them.
> >
> > I agree with "similar things being said" but i'm yet to hear about the
> > lack of collaboration and give Debian something back.
>
> None of the other companies ran around pronouncing how great they were
> at 'giving things back' and how 'committed' they were to free
> software, etcetera. That appears to be the relevant point.
>
> I don't think anybody seriously objects to the existence of companies
> who *don't* do these things.

Are you saying that they're spending more money with PR than really
contributing back ? I don't have the same feel, but if it's the
reality it's grave. We just need to avoid measure these things by
emotion and point out facts, and i'm not talking about you and your
opinions but being more general.

--
Gustavo Franco