Re: bits from the release team

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:23:31AM -0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:

> 	Perhaps the idea of maintain a kernel with other distros is not bad,
> if Ubuntu shows up as a candidate, I would like to add Progeny, Linspire,
> Xandros, "DCC Alliance Fan Club" and also other Debian Derivatives. I really
> don't know if it is possible to mix RH, Debian, SuSE, Slackware and
> other distros to maintain the same kernel, but certainly should be possible
> to get all Debian (and Debian based/derivative) playing together. :-)

Different distros have different target audiences so this may not be
easy. Often fixing a driver bug for one class of users breaks it for an
other class of users so it is quite possible that different distros want
different bugs to be fixed/left alone.

Also, other distros (e.g. RedHat) already found out the hard way that
diverging too much from upstream costs a lot. So unless you find someone
to pay the maintainers of such a forked kernel, it will not work out in
the long term.

> 	If you give it a quick look (and a quick try), we will have more
> users testing the same kernel, which means more feedback, we will have
> more developers working to get it stable and working to get it secure.
> Probably even upstream get benefits from this model and sounds like a very
> good way to work together, even to try to integrate outside patches and
> backporting things. =)

Dave Jones (Fedora) and Greg KH (Gentoo) already posted a much better idea
on l-k: make packages from daily -git snapshots available for distro
testers, so bugs like the past udev breakages are found _before_ the
next official kernel version is released.

Packaging at least -rc kernels for unstable might be a good idea for
Debian too. That would provide more testing coverage for -rc releases,
and this is what upstream needs the most.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences