Re: How to Increase Contributions from Volunteers

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:34:31 +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote
> On Monday 02 January 2006 16.21, Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
> [...]
> > I could support or maintain some packages if I could be teached once, and
> > if the mentoring process to get ownership of one package wouldn't be a
> > pain. I once wanted to make a package for the ieee80211 stack or another
> > small package, but NO. I had to know someone, that the someone had a
> > developer friend that would actually trust me, to ever be able to try
> > posting something.
>
> Huh?  That's just not true.
>
> You can make a package all on your own, no problem at all.  Look at
> <http://www.us.debian.org/devel/>, most relevant documentation is
> linked from there.  Ask anybody on pretty much any IRC channel or
> mailing list about Debian, and somebody will point you probably to
> the debian-mentors mailing list.  In my experience, if you have
> actual packaging problems you will get answers. (your question about
> HDAPS got you two offers of help - I didn't research if I found any
> later results, but to me that looked not too bad.)

The HDAPS guys did a great and fast Job and they packaged things up and it all
works so far. They were of great help.

I most have not digged in enough and fact is that I got to a point that it was
easier to throw the ball to someone for them to package stuff up. ;-)

> Packaging is hard work, and you'll have to learn a lot, but you can
> do everything you need except actually upload the package.  Only in
> the end will you need a DD to do the upload.

True, OK. I will look at how to package and if I find something interesting
then I will look for a DD.

Thanks,

.Alejandro