Re: How to Increase Contributions from Volunteers

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:22:00 -0500, Kevin B. McCarty wrote
> Alejandro Bonilla wrote:
>
> > I would love to help, but the fact is that people that know how to do
> > these things like they know the palm of their hands, don't share
> > information or actually show people how to do things.
>
> There is plenty of documentation about how to get started in
> creating a Debian package.  Perhaps it's hard to find?  Two great
> starting points are the Debian Mentors FAQ:
> http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html and the
> New Maintainer's Guide (in the maint-guide Debian package, available
> in eleven languages).

Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

> The Debian Women project has created some documentation on their
> wiki: http://women.alioth.debian.org/wiki/index.php/English/PackagingTutorial
> (see also the other links under "Articles" in the sidebar)
>
> and they also have a mentoring program:
> http://women.alioth.debian.org/mentoring/
>
> > I don't even know what is the whole deal that is done when people
> > move from gnome2.10 to gnome2.12. (I know is not only packaging and
> > uploading)
>
> Do you ask this from the perspective of a packager, or a user?  If
> you are packaging Gnome applications you may want to subscribe to
> the debian-gtk-gnome@lists.debian.org list.  However, Gnome-related software
> that is not part of the core set of Gnome packages should continue to
> build and work through the transition, since the Gnome people haven't
> changed the API or ABI of their libraries in a long time.  If you are
> just using Gnome apps, everything should continue to Just Work (TM) -
> - if not, file a bug.
>
> If instead your question is, "how did the Debian Gnome team update their
> packaging to build Gnome 2.12 instead of Gnome 2.10?" -- this I don't
> know.  You'll have to ask them directly, or else apt-get the source and
> see for yourself.  But I don't understand why you need this information
> (aside from curiosity) unless you are planning to join the Gnome team
> yourself.

Well, I could join any team that would actually need any help and that they
could mentor someone on how to do the job.

I said gnome because is one of the most normal things that constantly have to
be moved from versions and versions... And I mean, how they really do it. I'm
also part of debian-gtk ML and there isn't much activity (or i'm in the wrong one)

Thanks for the info!

.Alejandro