Re: Thoughts on Debian quality, including automated testing

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 12:23:32PM +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:
> I don't think that it is ridiculous to require that every package have a
> team behind it---i.e., at least two maintainers.  First, if someone can't

Sorry, but I'm having an issue with the word "require" here.  Call me
idealistic, but I think a more basic requirement here is to expect
maintainers to act responsibly.  Let them recognize the best ways to
maintain a package for themselves.  Telling them they must work in a certain
manner is disparaging.

If there are cases where team maintainership would clearly solve a problem
yet the maintainer will refuse to turn over the package to TM, then it is
valid to question whether that maintainer is acting responsibly.  But
otherwise, team maintainership is a solution looking for a problem.

I'm not against advocating for TM, but please do so in a case by case basis.

Other than that, enable, don't force.  If you think that TM is great try to
convince people, set an example and show people how it can be done but don't
set rules.  The goal of Debian remains to create a free operating system and
it doesn't matter how we get there.