Re: debian-menu vs. .desktop

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:51:13PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Thomas Viehmann wrote:
> >P.S.: Could someone give me a pointer about moving to .desktop and why
> >it is/was considered a bad idea? (Or if it's just a not worth it/noone
> >has time issue...)
>
> I believe it was considered a good idea by everyone and the consensus was
> that it should be done in the long run.

It is not a good idea. If you do not believe me, read the drafts linked
by Thomas.

Beside that would create a lot of confusion:

Window managers are not supposed to read Debian menu files directly,
but to read files _generated_ by menu. This files are generated
according the menu configuration which is applied consistently to
all the window managers menus. menu is very flexible, much more than
XDG menus, ask the custom Debian distributions.

If menu were to use .desktop file, then :
1) window managers would not be allowed to read them directly.
2) upstream .desktop would not be suitable for Debian menu because they
would not follow the Debian menu policy.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.