Re: what does Enhances *really* mean?

Scripsit Peter Samuelson <peter@p12n.org>

> I thought that Enhances is merely the converse of Suggests, and that it
> was invented for situations where it is problematic or inconvenient to
> use Suggests directly, as when a main package wishes to suggest a
> non-free package.

*I* thought it was okay for a main package to Suggest a non-free one.
Policy (§2.2.1) only forbids Depends, Recommends, and Build-Depends.

I suppose that Pre-Depends is also out (but just forgotten in the
policy), but the absense of Suggests in the list appears to be
deliberate.

> Since it *is* just a boolean, I'd rather see just a package tag.  If
> one didn't already exist, I would have suggested 'special::useless'.

One does already exist: 'special::auto-inst-parts'.

--
Henning Makholm                   "We will discuss your youth another time."