Re: Conffiles and possible conffiles

Hi all,

Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:
>> We are currently thinking about a
>> solution were there would be hardly any conffiles[1], but a local admin
>> could put copies of any file he likes into subdirectories of /etc/texmf.
>> This would shadow the dpkg-shipped file in /usr/share/texmf and allow
>> configuration.
[...]
>> What do others think? Would it be acceptable Policy-wise to handle
>> configuration like this?
>>
>> Regards, Frank
>
> I think other packages have the same problem, gconf comes to mind, and
> they should sit together and work out a common solution.

Indeed, it would be nice if there was *one* "Debian Way".  I'm Cc'ing
gconf@p.d.o to get its maintainer into the discussion - and ucf's
because of your second proposal.  Who else should be contacted?

> It would be nice to notify the user about changes in the default
> config and give the choice of a diff or 3 way merge. Maybe this is
> something that could be added to ucf (e.g. option
> --modified-file=/etc/texmf/foo) and then present the user with the
> same options and frontend as with normal config files.

This sounds like a rather long-term thing.  But on the other hand, it
also seems to me as if it can be applied any time later even if we stop
shipping arbitrary files as conffiles now, can't it?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich