Re: Spliting packages between pkg and pkg-data

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 16:26 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> foo depends on foo-data. But foo-data does NOT depend on foo.
>
> So an "apt-get install foo-data", while being useless, is consistent
> for dpkg. After that you would end up with a menu entry for foo but no
> foo binary.

If package foo-data is useless when foo is not installed, foo-data
should depend on package foo. This follows from policy manual 7.2: "The
Depends field should be used if the depended-on package is required for
the depending package to provide a significant amount of
functionality.". Or am I missing something here?

Thijs